“The White House and US Department of Defense (DOD) have revealed that the 3.45-3.55 GHz band will be made available for 5G, a move that has been welcomed by FCC Chairman Ajit Pai.” 1 This reallocation is a 25% loss of 9cm band spectrum to our hobby.
In an FCC News Release dated August 10, 2020, Chairman Pai issued this statement:
I commend the President and Department of Defense for today’s announcement that the 3.45–3.55 GHz band will be made available for commercial 5G deployment. This is a key milestone in securing United States leadership in 5G. I also would like to thank FCC staff for their work to help create a framework that will promote 5G service in this important band. Together with the spectrum being made available for 5G in the C-band as well as the 3.5 GHz band, we are now on track to have a 530-megahertz swath of mid-band spectrum available for 5G from 3.45 to 3.98 GHz. The FCC looks forward to moving quickly to adopt service rules for the 3.45 GHz band and then hold an auction to bring this prime mid-band spectrum to market. 2
Remarks by President Trump on United States 5G Deployment have been published on-line by the White House.
The FCC News Release is available in multiple formats on the FCC Chairman Pai on Administration Freeing Up 3.45-3.55 GHz Band for 5G page.
Today's announcement by @WhiteHouse and @DeptofDefense that 3.45-3.55 GHz band will be made available for commercial wireless services is key marker in US leadership in #5G. @FCC looks forward to moving quickly to adopt service rules and then auction this prime mid-band spectrum. pic.twitter.com/E6YAKDyPMO— Ajit Pai (@AjitPai) August 10, 2020
- US frees up midband spectrum for 5G (Advanced Television, 2020-08-11)
- Does not bode well for the 3 GHz amateur radio allocation (/r/amateurradio/)
- Executive Branch Makes 3.45-3.55 GHz Band Available for 5G Networks (Law Street, 2020-08-10)
- America’s 5G Capabilities Are About to Get a Big Boost (Defense One, 2020-08-10)
- President Donald J. Trump Is Unleashing America’ss 5G Potentia (White House, 2020-08-10)
- FCC Will Auction Another 100 MHz of Mid-Band Spectrum for 5G (telecompetitor, 2020-08-10)
- U.S. to free up 100 MHz of mid-band spectrum for 5G (Fierce Wireless, 2020-08-10)
- DOD Releases Prime Airwaves for Commercial 5G Networks (Nextgov, 2020-08-10)
- ARRL Opposes FCC Plan to Delete the 3.4 GHz Band (ARRL, 2020-02-25)
- FCC Formally Adopts Proposals to Remove Amateur 3-GHz Band, Invites Comments (ARRL, 2019-12-17)
- FCC to propose elimination of 3.3– 3.5 GHz amateur allocation (KB6NU, 2019-11-27)
- ARRL to Oppose Proposal to Eliminate 3.3– 3.5 GHz Amateur Allocation (ARRL, 2019-11-25)
“US frees up midband spectrum for 5G”, Advanced Television, accessed August 10 2020, https://advanced-television.com/2020/08/11/us-frees-up-midband-spectrum-for-5g/. ↩︎
“Chairman Pai Statement On The Administration Announcement Freeing Up 3.45-3.55 GHz Band For 5G”, Federal Communications Commission, accessed August 10 2020, https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-366068A1.pdf. ↩︎